Vegan Buffalo ‘Chicken’ Salad
This recipe does not contain fake meat
For the Buffalo “Chicken”
- 1 17-ounce can young green jackfruit in water or brine, drained and rinsed*
- ⅓ cup vegan gluten free buffalo sauce
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ¼ cup pepitas
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- For the Salad
- 6 cups mixed greens of choice (I use a baby kale blend)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 large celery stalk, trimmed and cut into matchsticks
- ½ cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
To Make the Buffalo “Chicken”
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After you’ve drained and rinsed the jackfruit, trim the triangular tips off of each piece and shred the “meat” of the jackfruit with two forks.
- Transfer the shredded jackfruit to a large skillet, pour the buffalo sauce over, and heat over medium-low heat. Let the jackfruit simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper, and spread the jackfruit evenly over the pan. Bake the jackfruit for 18-20 minutes or until it has slightly dried out and taken on a more meat-like texture.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
To Make the Dressing
- Prepare the dressing while the jackfruit is cooking by adding the hemp seeds, pepitas, water, chives, garlic, white wine vinegar, salt, and black pepper to a high-powered blender.
- Blend on high for 2-3 minutes or until the dressing is smooth.
- Pour into jar or airtight container.
To Assemble the Salads
- Divide greens between two large bowls and top with sliced veggies. Divide the buffalo “chicken” between each bowl and drizzle with dressing and additional buffalo sauce, if desired.
- Serve immediately and refrigerate all leftovers.
Notes: Be sure you’re purchasing young, green jackfruit in water or brine and not ripe jackfruit in syrup. There is a big difference between the two and you want savory, not sweet!