- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 T olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 small Lemon - zest and 1 T juice
- 2 tsp cumin seeds ( whole)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- cracked pepper
- 2 lbs zucchini or summer squash- sliced into 1/4 inch disks
- 1/4 C chopped Italian parsley
- In a large heavy bottomed, oven proof skillet ( cast iron works great), heat olive oil until hot on medium heat.
- Add onions and saute for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown.
- Add garlic, stirring more frequently, until garlic is lightly browned. Turn heat to med- low and add diced tomatoes, lemon zest and lemon juice, salt, pepper and spices.
- Simmer on low until tomatoes cook down a little, about 5 minutes. This will seem like a fairly “dry” tomato sauce, but remember, zucchini will release their liquids in while baking.
- Remove all but 1/3 of the rustic tomato sauce, placing 2/3 in a separate bowl. Spread the remaining tomato sauce ( about 1/2 C) evenly on the bottom of the pan.
- Place one single layer of zucchini in slighty overlapping concentric circles. Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt and pepper.
- Spread another third of the rustic tomato sauce over the zucchini, as evenly as possible. It won’t seem like a lot, but don’t worry.
- Add the second final layer of slightly overlapping zucchini.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and the rest of the tomato sauce. Cover with foil. Place in 350 F oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and give a good shake, and bake uncovered for additional 20 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley and a give a drizzle of olive oil.